This Page

has been moved to new address

Simple Little Things That Bring Me Joy.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Simple Little Things That Bring Me Joy.

When I was in college, in Chicago, my friend Laura and I would get together every Tuesday night at Starbucks and share life together. We'd sip Chai Tea lattes and talk about school and LSAT's, marathon training, dates gone good {or bad} and life. Plain and simple life.

I had this little yellow notebook that I'd always bring and in it I'd write lists and lists and stories and quotes and one of the recurring themes was "Simple Little Things That Bring Me Joy".

Laura and her husband and daughter are now all the way over in New York and we don't get to connect like we used to. We haven't seen each other since H was 2 months old, when her and her husband married in North Carolina. But the friendship we shared, it's still there. I still count her in my head, on my hand and most importantly, in my heart.

So today, even though it's not Tuesday and even though I'm not hanging with Laura, I'm sharing my list of what's bringing me joy, right now:

1. Teeny, tiny, little girl braids. I doubt you've ever seen anything so cute. {I was inspired by this a few weeks back and realized, it was time. Oh it was time for E to wear braids too!}
100_2770
100_2767
2. Did you get a look at that bench Miss E is sitting on? My husband MADE that! I've been complaining about that stinking ledge for oh, pretty much the 6 plus years we've lived here and one Sunday a few weeks back, we traipsed to JoAnn fabrics, picked out that pretty print and my husband made the ugly, paint chipped ledge into a soft, beautiful looking bench. No, friends, he's not for hire.

3. My crockpot. Tonight's the third night this week that I am making dinner in the crock pot and while it's always been used for things like chili or meatballs, I've been loving finding recipes that take me 10 minutes in the morning and cook all day long. I enjoy my afternoon and the witching hour before dinner so much better now.

4. Stripes. I am obsessed. They wear stripes a lot. 100_2887
And so do I now.
100_2883

5. This Indian Summer we're having. Politically correct or not, seriously, I love picking H up from school with dinner in the crock pot {see above!!} and being able to go to the park or play outside. T and M even got to play outside after dinner earlier this week. On school nights, we very rarely go outside again after dinner, so this was a BIG deal!
100_2894

6. Friendship mix. If you are older than 4, you'd probably call this trail mix. And H loves making it with cereal and goldfish and raisins and marshmallows and whatever other fun ingredients we've got lying around.
100_2856

7. Fall. Fall. Fall. I am in love with our front door step right now with a haybale and pumpkins and an orange mum! I love all the decorations around my house and the scent of apple candles.

8. Candy corn. I have never been a big fan of candy corn and usually buy it to put in the candy dish for looks. I filled our gummy bear jar with candy corn and I can barely stay on top of refilling it.

So, play along with me here, because though I'm ashamed to admit it the lack of comments but the increasing traffic sometimes makes me wonder what's going on. Mixed signals, people!

So say something, anything, what things you're finding joy in? What do you think of the music when the page opens? Some people say they hate it, some love it. Today, I love it. So tell me what you're thinking and enjoying...right now.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Mel Brutger said...

I love Simple Things, too! Great blog.
Here's mine for today:
There is nothing like snuggling up with the kids b/4 nap or bed. They communicate so much better and are so happy to have my undivided attention...no distractions, just us.

October 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Nice list! I like it!

Right now the Simple Things bringing me joy are:
1. Knowing I can crash when I get home tonight and just watch TV
2. Tomorrow is a "walking day" instead of a "running day"
3. Fall. I totally agree with you on all the wonderful things about Fall.

October 14, 2010 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I love sitting down and reading a good book for an hour. No interruptions, blocking out the crazines of life. Another simple thing is simply put-having friends who are there for me no matter what~thank you for your kind words all the time. They mean a lot to me!

October 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Jon, Sara, Tyler, and Sophie said...

Sophie and I are jealous of E's super cute braids. Soph has been asking for braids in her hair for a few weeks now (since a girl at dance always has them), and her hair is still too short - I tried, they looked horrible and she cried. "Mom, that's not right...you have to twist it or something."

About the simple joys, mine is being home for three weeks with my kids. I love our breaks, and although I can't be with them all time (wish I could), having large clumps of time, spaced throughout the year, is pretty awesome!

October 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My simple things are...
1. Enjoying these gorgeous days in Minnesota lately!
2. Apples & apple cider from an orchard.
3. Although I dislike sending my daughter back to school each Fall =( I'm loving the fact that I can substitute teach again and money magically appears in my bank account and I enjoy my job.
gms

October 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Nicky said...

Aww, E and H are soo cute! Miss you guys! I'm always thinking of the random little things that make my day:
-Riding my bike in the sunset
-Homemade bread
-Buying new dresses!
-Reading from a book that isn't a textbook right before bed
-FALL!

October 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Nicky said...

By the way.. love the Ingrid Michaelson =)

October 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello S I Love the little things that make you happy. My little thing is when the children which are now young adults help out around the house with out being asked. the music is nice, but I am busy reading and not really listening.love to all Janet

October 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the songs! I feel that I have heard these before, like over and over again :)

Samantha

October 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

The first cup of coffee of the day always brings me joy. Although I'd prefer to be drinking it on a couch reading a book than at my desk working. But, I take what I can get.

Love the braids and stripes :)

October 14, 2010 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Quist said...

My new favorite thing about Fall.....Laney burying herself in the leaves, leaping out, and scaring the crap out of Ike. She did it like 20 times and it never got old!

October 14, 2010 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Anna Daniels said...

My Ten Simple Things That Bring Me Joy (lately)
1. Bananagrams
2. Chipotle
3. October feeling like early September
4. Roofing with my brothers and dad
5. Last Minute trips to the Cabin
6. Surprising my Boyfriend with a random gift
7. Doing Loads of Laundry from wash to fold/put away in one night.
8. Coloring my Hair
9. My Best Friend Visiting me at work.
10. My Dad being able to fix my car problems

October 14, 2010 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My simple little joy today is having some time to read my book now that the boys are in bed. Ahhhhh.....

October 14, 2010 at 9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The simple thing that is bringing me great joy is Zofran. Being pregnant and throwing up for 5 weeks straight to now feeling human again is my great joy. I can now marvel at what my body is doing, making another human! I love the Zofran!!
Auntie BB

October 17, 2010 at 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Jes said...

I am enjoying days of working at home!!

October 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home