This Page

has been moved to new address

Thank You's. A Lost Art?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Thank You's. A Lost Art?

100_3456

Talking with a stranger in the check out line the other day and she told me no one does or expects thank you's anymore.

We do. On both accounts.

She said something about everyone knows kid thank you's are just adults forcing kids to write them.

Agreed, right?

But how will they ever know to do them later if we don't teach them? I ask.

I really, really, really didn't like doing thank you notes as a kid. My mom would make us do them right away.

But now it's habit. I make a mental note of what I've received or the kids have opened, add it to a list and cross it off when a note hits the mail.

We make our kids do thank you notes. This year they didn't even complain. An hour, the address book and a stack of cards and envelopes and the job was done within an hour.

And T and M write real genuine things like "I'm wearing the necklace right now!" to "The savings bond will really help me when I'm in college."

H just writes Thank You and his name, I write the rest. A ghost writer named "MOM" writes E's.

Do your kids do thank yous? Did you as a kid? Do you now?

I'm curious on this one. Are thank you notes turning into a lost art?

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

OMG! I am flipping out right now because I don't think I ever sent thank-you's for Z's birthday party in JUNE!! That is TERRIBLE! I agree - I think thank you's are an important thing to do. We did them as a child (to other than our family members) and we still do them now. Well, we USUALLY do them now. I think I will even suck up the embarrassment and STILL do them!!
This shouldn't be a lost art. Manners are something a LOT of people could have more of.
Thanks for the reminder Samara!

December 29, 2010 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I still do thank yous! I always did as a kid too - but I especially do now because we have some out of town relatives who very generously send gifts to Nate and I - so I feel that since they took the time to do that, the least I can do is mail a real live thank you card. And I know for fact that they appreciate it.

December 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok... I started to leave a comment, and now I've deemed it too long for your comment and will write a blog instead! Stay tuned! :)

December 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

As a child my mom had me write thank you notes and I still do now! I think it's the right thing to do when you receive something. I send out thank you cards to my grandma's at Christmas. Heck I even send thank you cards to people who interviewed me. Way to go on teaching the kids that it's proper to send them out!

December 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

You might be interested in this blog - I just started following it and it's really neat - this girl is writing a thank you card to someone every day of the year for an entire year: http://ilikeyourgratitude.tumblr.com/

It's a neat concept!

December 29, 2010 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Mountain Jessie said...

i read about someone who, in feeling down on their life, challenged himself to write a thank you card EVERY DAY for a year! (maybe this was on you blog...i don't remember where I read it) This is what i wish I was better at. I am pretty good at thanking people for material things but not as good at thanking them for things like hospitality, support, a great hug, great service etc. Imagine a world where we all took the time to thank our doctors, baristas, dentists and the nice checkout lady at the grocery store with a handwritten note. maybe this will make it into my resolutions for the coming year.

thank YOU for having your kids write thank yous. :)

December 29, 2010 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger Mountain Jessie said...

okay...thanks beth for the link...that's exactly what i was talking about.

December 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Lottie Lou said...

I hated writing Thank You's as a kid when my parents made me too. Something must have clicked because I write them now for every holiday, party, gift, etc. I like showing my gratitude for the thoughtfulness of the gift and occasion.

December 29, 2010 at 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Mel B said...

I'm with you on this one, Samara. My mom made me do TUs as a kid and now my kids are learning, too. Yes, it's something that needs to be taught...just like money management or telling time or how to be a good friend. It is very important, I think.
Another thing along the same lines...when I was a kid, my mom got a ton of b-day cards, anniversary cards, thinking-of-you cards, etc. I don't think many of those are done anymore either. Sad, really.

December 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Brandi said...

Okay..I am the one to disagree a bit. I think it is very important for your kids and adults to thank someone for the gift. However, if I give you a gift and you open it in front of me and turn to me and say thank you. I appreciate that so much more than a silly card that you wasted time to write that I am only going to throw in the mail minutes after I read it. Save your time, your stamp, and your card. So no, I do not send thank yous, expect thank yous, or make my kids send them unless the gift was not opened in front of the person giving the gift. Then..we send a thank you. Otherwise..the personal thank you is much more important to me than a thank you in the mail. Any other comments on that one??

December 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this post rather late but wanted to throw out my opinion, because I am a Thank You Freak. When anyone does anything for me, I say "thank you" probably at least 3 times, and I almost always finish emails with "thanks!". I also send out thank you's, to people I have interviewed with, people who have assisted me with an event I organized at school, and people who give me gifts for events such as my birthday or a personal milestone such as graduation. I do say "thank you" when receiving Christmas gifts, but since everyone gives and gets at Christmas, I've never sent them then. Rather, since the holiday is about Jesus, I instead say a prayer thanking him for all the people I have in my life who think to share a gift with me. =) I think thank you's are a great thing to have the kids do. It's an excellent habit to instill!

January 5, 2011 at 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home