This Page

has been moved to new address

On Being a Mom and Missing Mine.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

On Being a Mom and Missing Mine.

She looks at my chart and looks at me, then mentions that her daughter went to school with a girl that had the same name.

How unique.

We figure out that I am the Samara she is referring to and that her daughter and I went to school together many years ago.

"I remember doing PTA and school stuff with your mom. How is she?" She asks.

I look away and answer, "She is good."

"I bet she's so excited about the new grandbaby." She says as she takes my blood pressure and pulse at one of my many prenatal visits.

Weeks went by and she happened to be my nurse several of my visits, yet never once could I tell her.

I didn't intend to be dishonest, I just didn't know how to say it.

And I was tired of being that girl. That poor girl who's mother passed away.

I had hoped a few weeks back that perhaps she would be there when I was in so I could tell her, but of course didn't see her then and lost the chance.

*****

"And how are your mother and dad?" The old family acquaintance asks when we run into each other on a random Saturday.

"Oh they are good. Yeah good." I say smiling yet wondering how I should disclose.

"And they're still living in the same place?" They press.

"Umm yes, still over on Johnson."

I look away wondering if they can see how dishonest I am being.

And then the truth comes crashing down, "My mom passed away a year ago in December so it's just my dad now."

And I answer their questions, accept their pleasantries and walk away still feeling their sympathies cast upon me.

I am that girl now and now they feel bad.

Why is it so hard to say it?

Is it the awkward sympathies I try to graciously accept?
The emotional toll re-telling and re-living the details?

How do I go through the motions of nodding in agreement that yes, this is so sad. So tragic. So young and premature.

Summing up seven months of a battle and fifteen months of missing her in a two minute conversation.

There's the awkward expressions.

The other person feeling bad and looking at me with distress. Not sure what to say, so saying something off the wall or goofy all together. You think I'm kidding but let me tell you, some of the things some people say, make. no. sense.

And I suppose that until this time, I too, wouldn't have known what to say (or what not to say) to someone grieving this loss either.

I just finished reading "The Middle Place" by Kelly Corrigan and while there are many pages, many statements, chapters and moments that truly resonate with me. One section that really hit me and the thoughts on losing my mom is this:

"..."Your mom had a good life. She had a lot of happiness. She was so uncomfortable. Now she's at peace."

Well, yeah, okay, good for your mom. But what about you? What about your peace? Your comfort? Who's going to remember what you were for Halloween that year or the name of your fifth grade teacher? Who's going to cry when your baby is born? Who's going to sit in the front row of your play?

Look mom! This is the scene where we get engaged. Oh! You're gonna love this part! Look at me in my white dress...And in this next scene, we get pregnant! ...Isn't this a good play? Don't you love it? Wait! There's more...My husband gets promoted in the third act! Don't go yet! My son starts kindergarten next
year! Wait til you see my daughters first swim meet! Don't leave- it gets so good!"

*****

Wait mom. Don't you know, 356 days after you're gone, Miss E will arrive. And hardly a day will pass that I won't want to call you and say; "Guess what, she slept from 8pm to 7am? And oh wouldn't you believe how cute she is in this? Isn't she perfect, mom?"

And then later on that day I'd call and say; "She won't take a bottle mom, what should I do? Or, "H is pushing all my buttons, what can I do?"

And she would know just the way to tell me what to do or what not to do or to let it go all together and she'd end it by saying. "My grandchildren are just perfect."

Which is why hardly a day will pass without thinking of her.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

S - You will never stop missing your mom - she was too important to you, and that is beautiful.

I know I'm certainly not her, but I am your friend, and I will always want to hear about how cute E looks in an outfit, how she is sleeping so great, and about how H is driving you crazy...

March 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.... I have very similiar feelings as I mentioned to you and your sisters yesterday. Was an unusual few days. You can just imagine or hear her with your questions. What would mom do? or say.
Be at peace, enjoy these sweet times with the 5 kids, thats including Jeff.

Prayers & peace & Love to all
Dadio

March 10, 2009 at 11:37 AM  
Blogger Yo said...

lump. in. my. throat.

i know how you feel. i know exactly how you feel.

i don't know what tense to put my parents in. my dad's past tense. my mom is present. but i still lump them together. and i don't want to explain things to people. and in their mind, they're both still alive.

beautiful post. beautiful beautiful.

March 10, 2009 at 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just put my thoughts into words. I lost my mom suddenly October 2006. I am still finding it hard to tell myself she is gone, let alone anyone else. I do know it never gets easier. I will never again have a better best friend. Just last week I had to tell an old friend of my mother's who was mourning the sudden death of her 14 yr old son that her friend had been gone for 2 yrs. The pain in her face mirrors the pain in my heart.

March 10, 2009 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger GMS said...

I've never stopped missing my mom. I'm approaching 37 years w/o her. Actually, I think that feeling intensifies as I get older. Often times, I still choose not to correct people when they refer to her as though she is still here or are unaware that she died. Maybe that is because that is one way we still have a choice in an outcome we didn't choose. Does that make sense?

March 10, 2009 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger simplicity said...

Gloria, you make perfect sense. Thanks for sharing...

March 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Lindahl News 2 said...

You rang a bell with me, too, on a related question about how many children I have. I feel guilty if I say two, and like I'd have to explain if I said three.

We will always miss the ones who go before we do. And they leave a huge hole behind.

Hugs to you, dear Samara.

March 11, 2009 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I haven't lost a parent, but I still call out to my grandfather in my mind— sharing the things I know would have unleashed his laugh or led him to weep with me. I ache for you and am honored to have read this love letter to your mom.

March 12, 2009 at 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have put into words, so perfectly, the snippets that run through my mind at least 100 times a day. I'm sorry for you, sorry for me... And sorry for our Moms... This ache just won't heal.

March 12, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home