This Page

has been moved to new address

The 14th Of May.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Thursday, May 14, 2009

The 14th Of May.

Late last night I found out a friend's mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday.

...Wasn't what we thought we'd hear today...She wrote.

I'm sure, it wasn't.

Instantly my mind and heart were full for her, for her husband, their family and especially her mother in law.

They are now on the journey of cancer that I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

They have entered the world of treatment options and medical terminology and many, many tears.

Her cancer is in the "very, very early stages". So that fills them each with hope for now.

I offer my prayers, support, I'll do anything they need, but I know, from my own experience, that besides prayers, there is not much more I can do right now.

The timing of her email and her mother in laws diagnosis hit me. You see, two years ago today, we found out my mom's official diagnosis. And it came attached to the word, terminal.
We knew, that short of a miracle, her cancer would kill her. And just seven months later, it did.

My dad has often joked that I have a memory of an elephant. (Apparently elephants have good memories?) Dates, times, places stick in my mind. And for weeks I have noted that May 14th was the day we found out just how sick she was. We'd known she had cancer for less than two weeks before that but were waiting to hear where it was at, how far along it was. I hoped that the 14th of May could now be marked with H and E's first Twin's game, not replacing the sad memory but giving me something positive to recall as well.

Isn't it amazing how much one's life can change in just two short, yet at times, long years?

When my mom was diagnosed, friends and family, near and far, repeatedly asked what they could do, how they could help and my one request continued from the start, until the very end of her battle. Pray for her. Write her a note, whether you've met her or not and tell her you're praying her through. Encouragement can take someone very far.

I like to think it helped.

Today, I am remembering my mom, the woman she was to not only me, but everyone around her. I'm remembering and honoring the battle she fought for seven long months.

And I am holding, Marlene, of whom, I've never even met, close in my prayers. Will you please do the same?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

You know I will.

It's funny, having found some college friends on Facebook, I was just reflecting on the weekend I found out of my own Mom's diagnosis. Sometimes those memories smack me upside the head when I least expect it.

May 14, 2009 at 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes!! Those memories hit you like a huge wave, they will sneak up behide me and sometimes knock me down!! But not for long as that is not what she wanted.. I also have this day marked in my mind, When I heard I went for a long walk in the pouring rain..
Your friends Mother in-law will be in my prayers..
I Love You
Aunt Laurie

May 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Samara, I was thinking about you and your mom on Mother's Day. I know she is so proud of you for the woman and mother you've become. I truly believe you honor her each day as you devote your life fully to your family and God just as she did.

May 14, 2009 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Samara -
Here I was with you today and I didn't even realize how important this day was. For that I am sorry. I will pray for your mom's friend as she begins this journey.

May 14, 2009 at 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home