This Page

has been moved to new address

Me, Changing the World One Moms Group at a Time.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Me, Changing the World One Moms Group at a Time.

ECFE started on Monday. On our way out the front door, H managed to hit his head leaving a nice red goose egg in all it's glory.

Don't worry, every single mom in the class made sure to ask me if I noticed the bump on his head and ask what happened.

We're taking the "Seperating" Toddler class this time around. The first half is to be mom and me time, the second half the mom's leave the room and the toddlers stay. Should hopefully help with those seperation issues I've been mentioning.

These mommy groups make me nervous. I already told you about my anxiety in meeting new people. I feel somewhat better when I have H with me because at least I can talk to and focus on him. (Don't even tell me how twisted that thinking is, I know.)

So I realized some of the reason I may feel this anxiety is because I think sometimes I feel like a misfit among the other moms. I do not simply fall in one category, I fall in several.

Human nature tells us to classify and group people into groups and categories, but what if we fall in several? Or what if we don't necessarily fall in any?

I've got three kids at my house a lot of times at three different ages and stages. I'm a first time mom to Henry, but still have experienced things other first time moms haven't. I work, part-time. I'm younger than most of the other moms.

I have every reason to go running the other direction and stop trying this mommy things from MOPS to ECFE, but I persevere.

Because I know that this is important to me and important to H. He lights up as soon as we arrive at the building for ECFE, he could have cared less about the whole seperation thang, because he loves that place.

It is good for me to do things that are for him (ECFE) and for me (MOPS) and like my friend Sarah said, I can be the one to make a difference and be more welcoming and different on the other side of things.

In the meantime though I'm rehearsing the following introductory speech so it's all out on the table when I arrive at these functions from here on out.

"Hi, my name is Samara. No I am not foreign. I am not Jewish or Middle Eastern.
Yes, I am aware there is a city in Iraq called Samarra. Yes I am aware that the
girl in the movie The Ring is named Samara.

I am a Christian.

This is my son Henry. No he is not big for his age, he's right on track.

Yes I am young, I am 25 1/2. Yes I still count halves.

I have two stepkids, Tyler is 8 and Madison is 6. Yes we all get along. No, their mom isn't a meanie, I actually like her a lot.

I work two days a week and stay home the other three. No I don't wish I stayed home all the time, three days is more than enough for me.

I like to pretend that I am a professional blogger, so watch yourself. Anything you say or do, may be blogged.
No, that is not a joke."


5 Comments:

Blogger Kendra Wheeler said...

Samara...you really make me laugh! Keep going to these things...it has to get better, right?! And you are SUCH a wonderful mom...to all three of those children.

September 26, 2007 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Lindahl News 2 said...

Hang in there, Samara! Your speech is just perfect the way it is. You are doing well to keep your sense of humor in these gatherings. I hope it will get easier for you as time goes by.

September 26, 2007 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger Ann-Marie said...

i'm sure you are doing just fine, and i highly doubt the other mothers see you as a misfit. they are just humans, too, with insecurities and fears, just like the rest of us.

sarah has a good point.

and, if all else fails, you could just paint your disclaimers on a sandwich board and hang it around your neck. ;)

September 26, 2007 at 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the best! Sometimes I think that I need to get out more. I think being afraid of relationships is something a lot of us struggle with. Me included. So, I may try some mom group, too. But, am afraid of too many commitments, and also when my daughter was screaming, just getting out once a week was a trip! Plus, I love that you are a professional blogger!

September 27, 2007 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Megasue said...

Oh to be a fly on the wall at one of your mom's groups. You must be such a breath of fresh air to some of those women, and sadly you'll probably never be told.

Too bad H will probably be in college before I have any little ones. I'd move to MN to craft with you in a heartbeat :)

September 27, 2007 at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home