This Page

has been moved to new address

The Not So Traditional Cinderella Story.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Not So Traditional Cinderella Story.


This is an edited version of what was originally posted in 2005.

Have you ever all of a sudden thought you can't imagine life without someone yet you know they weren't always there?

One day I was driving down the road. Thinking in a rare moment of peace.

How long it's been that J has been there.

Seems like forever, but my common sense knows better.

The minor little details will never escape me. I remember each and every one.


November 18, 2002.

It was a Monday. It was rainy. Cold. Not middle of the winter cold. But there was a chill in the air.

I was just finishing up my first semester at the University of MN. I'd transferred in from North Park.


It had been a long semester.

It had been a hard adjustment going from a private, liberal arts school to a large, big 10 campus. Most of my friends were still in Chicago, and I even still contemplated returning there.

I had just gotten done working. I was a nanny for three little boys.

I had a 6:30pm appointment with a seamstress to get a dress altered for a wedding I was going to be in soon.

I got my drink. Sat down at a table by the window and opened up my notebook. Much to do. I was getting ready to leave for a trip to Sweden with my friend Anne.

I'd return for two weeks of classes and finals and then a trip to Michigan for a friends wedding.

There were friends having coffee. Couples chatting. Workers goofing around.


In walked a man. He looked at me. Smiled. (This not so out of the ordinary, I had a history of being friendly wherever I went.)


I looked back down and started working on my school work. (Economics?)

This man, sat down at the table next to mine.

There were two little old ladies, talking about their NEW library cards. How exciting!

I started laughing aloud. I couldn't believe that this was the excitement in their lives.

This man too chuckled. Then looked over and asked what I was working on.

I informed him I was doing some school work. And asked if he was doing the same."No, I'm doing some work, work." He smiled. "I'm Jeff"

Somehow we ended up in conversation. We chatted for a long while, until I needed to head out.


He watched me walk to my car and leave.

We had our first "date" that Friday. Coffee. He told me he was drawn to me. My smile and sunny disposition had greeted him.


Sometimes I joke it was the nanny factor drawing him over. But I know better.

He also told me a little about him.


I thought it would be our first and last date. I enjoyed talking to him, liked him enough but he pretty much had three strikes against him going into it. He was 8 years older, had been married, and the real kicker, he had two little ones. M was 1 and T was 3.

I was so not ready for anything like that. Divorced? Bad word in my book. And children? Definitely something I was not looking for.
It would never work. I told myself.

I left the following Sunday for Sweden. I returned and found an email from him waiting.

We went out again.
And again.

I left for Michigan for a wedding. I'd return two days before Christmas.

And somewhere between the time we met and Christmas, I decided I could try it.

I decided that I liked this man enough to try.

I met his kids. My future stepchildren.

People told me I was crazy. That it'd never work.They shook their disapproving heads and tsk tsk's.

And I almost believed them.

Almost.
Until I fell in love.

I knew.
Life happens.

November 18, 2003.


I was still a nanny.

Three weeks left of school before I graduated and joined the corporate world.


J and I were leaving for London and Greece in just a couple days.

I was on my way to meet my Spanish tutor so I could pass the fluency exam at school. (A former requirement at the University of MN)I arrived at Starbucks.

The one we'd met at a year prior.

To find J awaiting.
With roses, candles and coffee.

He asked me to be his wife.

And I said yes.
Of course.


November 18, 2007.

Five years later. An apartment, a house, two cars, career choices and a baby later, here we are.

A family of five.

Far from perfect people, far from perfect life, but we are happy just the same.

And it still makes me laugh that we simply came to be because two people decided to try and then we fell in love.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lindahl News 2 said...

Samara, I could never hear this story enough times...it is beautiful. Makes one believe in throwing caution to the wind, and just "going" for it in blind faith.
Happy endings are possible!

November 18, 2007 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Coma Girl said...

Sounds a lot like my "Cinderella" story, except my prince had 4 kids and we met at work.

But I know how it feels when you do not intend to fall in love with and marry someone when everyone thinks you're nuts.

We may be nuts, but we're happy :)

November 18, 2007 at 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarama and Jeff,

Happy First-Day-You-Met/Were Engaged Anniversary!!

I know things are getting crazy with the holidays, but maybe we could do dinner some night...did you know Chevy's closed (we were just downtown last night?)

Anyways, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Talk to you soon.

Sara E.

November 18, 2007 at 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very wonderful Cinderella story. It seems it takes the few people that are willing to take a chance to fall in love with a person with kids to make the families work. Beautiful story.

November 18, 2007 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a nice story!

I fell in love with a divorced man with kids, and it turned out happily for me, too.

I found you through Stepmother's Milk a few weeks ago, and I'm loving reading your blog.

November 18, 2007 at 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy is always good. Content too works. You 2 have had an exciting ride so far, and man I know its going to get crazy. We love ya all
Dadio & Mumsy

November 18, 2007 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

What a lovely story! And how beautiful that you remember every moment of the day you met. I just love it...and its been fun getting to know you through your blog, too!

November 18, 2007 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Samara, what fun to hear your story. I know what it is like to find your man when you least expect it!

November 19, 2007 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

here's to slamming into the unexpected at full force and hanging on for the ride. isn't love grand?

November 19, 2007 at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home