This Page

has been moved to new address

Mudslinging and Such.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mudslinging and Such.

I knew last week as soon as my story in the Monticello Times went live that I'd receive a mixture of feedback. And it came pouring in.

My email box filled. Surprisingly full of support. And all from residents of Monticello. I didn't receive one email disagreeing or questioning my argument. On the Times website I got mixed feedback, some good, some bad, some just plain terrible. The mudslinging began. Low blows were had about me and my "Look at me" website, my "Princess disease" and calling me selfish and self centered.

But honestly, it's hard to take these sorts of comments seriously when they are signed by names like "Pizza Pizza" and "WOW WEE". I mean, really?

I knew that the mayor would reply to my story. And he did. Today. You can read it here.

While it's certainly more on topic than I expected, there is an innacuracy or two that I have asked the editor to look into and clarify.

For the record, I didn't refuse a meeting with the mayor. Actually I suggested it and he suggested for me to call him on the phone instead. Which I didn't do and explained via email that there is more accountability in email. But he is right that I did refuse to attend a council meeting right after he told me the issue to him was closed. Hmm.

But all of that, minutiae.

I don't have to get my way. I can take no as an answer. The bigger question and issue is why does this particular city have such trouble responding to feedback and actually taking the time (more than a board room discussion) to look into possible change.

That's all I asked. It didn't happen. It's not going to happen. And I am completely resolved with that.

I know the truth. I have all the facts behind me, including the emails Mr. Herbst has offered to send to anyone that requests them. Please do! The editor fact checked my story before publication as he should have and several people in my life have read the correspondence all the way back since January when I was emailing with the director of the center.

I could spend more time and energy defending myself, my website, my person, asking why or how or why not and I will get the same result. An old school mayor at a loss of answers besides bringing up the infamous political tactic, taxes.

I am NOT a Monticello taxpayer and I am NOT a member of their community center. That has never been a secret.

But I was a patron who asked a question and kept asking the question and I know my answer.

J often tells me that I'm more and more like my mom everyday and to me, that is the biggest compliment I could ever receive. And here, right now, my mom would have some terrific one liner and she'd let it go and say "Don't fight for the battle if it means you'll lose the war."

I don't have the really great one-liner but I am letting it go. I may have lost the battle but I did not lose the war.

The war here being my dignity. I'm staying out of the trenches on this one. And I'm walking away with my head still up.

9 Comments:

Blogger darcie said...

I'm proud of you for bringing up the issue & asking the questions. Too many people are willing to just walk away - Change cannot happen when that is the case...
From one 'look at me' web creator to another - I think you did all you can do and I am proud to know you!

March 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

As Ghandi says we must be the change we wish to see in the world and you have done just that! Way to stand up for your rights, even if the outcome didn't quite go in your favor! You continue to inspire me!

March 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job standing up for what you believe in. Stay strong! It's hard to get negative feedback--it seems as though the feedback attacked you, and not the issue at hand. It's easy for people to give their opinions anonymously, but you are brave enough to attach your face and name to what you believe in. Nicely done! I think it's great that you brought attention to this matter.

March 18, 2010 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger Coma Girl said...

WOW! I didn't think your request was that big of a deal for people to speak so negatively about you.

We don't have a community center where I live, so I don't have much to compare it to (but I would love one!), but I can't see how allowing you to bring your own food would affect taxpayers. I understand maybe the custodial staff might have more to clean up, but really?

Still - good for you for standing up for yourself!

March 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe the mayor's response. I would think there are more important issues to take care of than sending out "unedited" email responses.

Good job on sticking your ground and holding your head up high.

March 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger The Fritz Facts said...

I love that you stood up for yourself, and your children. This is something that you believed in, and that makes it important.

Very proud of you!!

March 18, 2010 at 3:22 PM  
Anonymous dadio said...

Proud of you.........

Love ya
Dadio

ps.you got bigger fish to fry!

March 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

If no one asks the question, nothing will ever change.

Thanks for always asking the questions most of us don't!

March 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Anti-Supermom said...

Hi! I commented in your article, but just wanted to say - way to go! Stick to what you believe in and you can make changes.

March 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home