This Page

has been moved to new address

Days Like This.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Friday, December 10, 2010

Days Like This.

Everything was going along just fine. We had a lazy morning. H, you watched cartoons in my bed for a good hour before deciding to really awake for the day. And E, you ran around from room to room, making mess after mess, but with a smile on your face.

I didn't mind. Some days I know that I'm annoyed from the moment I step out of my bed and see tornado after tornado occuring but today, I didn't mind.

We had no agenda. No where we had to go, nothing we had to do.

So we leisurely started the day. With Trix cereal squished into my bedroom carpet, even that, I picked it up with a smile.

By 10 am we were on the road to where we were going.

Errands. I bet you're both so done with errands. I'm sorry.

To Penny's real quick. Then Costco. A quick haircut and Trader Joe's. And of course, there was a stop at Starbucks.

I could feel it happening in Costco. I was getting that twinge in my voice. I made you both ride in the cart. No easy feat to get you both in but once you were in, you were in.

We got milk and bottled water and string cheese. I was racking my mind wondering what else I'd come for because you both know even though I always write a list I usually leave it on the counter.

We ran into someone I hadn't seen in years. She hugged me and we started exchanging pleasantries. And H, you screamed.

"Mama. Let's GO!"

And my cheeks were burning with embarassment. I couldn't believe you did it.

We paid and we left and we went to the car where I told you over and over and over again how awful that was.

And just like that, new kid. You got your haircut with a smile and offered to help me get the things we needed at Trader Joe's.

And H, you were so good. So helpful, so polite. All the kids carts were taken and you took it in stride and carried your own basket instead.

But then we got home and it was one thing after another.

You both ran up the stairs and dumped out all the toys that go with the play kitchen before I even had my shoes off. And I could feel myself counting down the hours, looking at the clock, wondering, almost out loud, "Is it bedtime yet?"

One thing. After another thing. And another thing.

Crayons dumped on the kitchen floor. Sliding down the stairs. Toilet paper unrolled. Toys everywhere. Running laps.

My voice was sharp. My actions were quick.

Stop this. Don't do that. No. No. No.

E, you went to bed so good. You hugged me and held on to my earring in my ear and kissed my cheek at least four times. "Rock." You said and we did and we read Elmo and I laid you down and in seconds you were asleep.

H, you had tears in your eyes when I came in and you told me "It's not fair." In all honesty, I wanted to say the same thing to you.

Tomorrow will be better, I tell you and you ask me if we can still have our date tomorrow and my heart breaks just a bit that you were even worried.

I love you even on the bad days, I tell you. And you nod your head.

This is the part they never tell you. When you're expecting and your hopes are through the roof, no one mentions that there will be days that go by that you wonder what went wrong and did anything go right at all?

These bad days where I think I am as much to blame as you.

In the words of Kelly Corrigan; "If John Lennon was right that life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. Parenthood is what happens when everything is flipped over and spilling everywhere and you can't find a towel or a sponge or your "inside" voice."

We read our book, you hug me tight as though to say without words, I am so sorry for driving you crazy today and doing the opposite of everything you asked. And I whisper "I love you so much my heart is full."

And that, tomorrow will indeed be better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Despite the day's frustrations, I think today reinforced a very important lesson: mommy and daddy will love you even on the bad days. My guess is that it's much easier to send the kids to bed and just be glad to be done with the day, but I love that you took that moment to tell him that you love him just the same. You are teaching him about unconditional love, my friend.

December 10, 2010 at 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Mel B said...

I've had days like this, too. Many, many days. We'd like to think that everything always runs smoothly and easily, but it doesn't. And you're right, we try to expect way too much from our little people. They are 'UNDER 5' I keep telling myself...when they are 10 or 15, then they better mind their P's & Q's, but for now...they are little and the world is a big and scary place that they are trying to find their place in...well, aren't we all?? :)
Well said, Samara. And thank you for writing it. I feel better knowing that other people are going through the same things as I Iam.

December 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home